Sunday 2 June 2013

Salta to Bolivia

So I partied in Buenos Aires for a week most of which I cant go into great detail about but lets just say I stayed in the millhouse hostel(anyone who has been to BA will know what that means). Here I met some cool people to party with but also some not so cool people. The hostel was full of English students on there gap year. If you watch the video below it will basically some up the type.




 Then then got an 18 hour night bus to salta a town in northern Argentina know for its amazing Scenery.when I got on the bus they played pitbull songs for two fucking hours.For some reason everywhere I go in SA they play fucking pitbull.
When I arrived in salta i booked into a hostel with an English couple Louis and holly I met on the bus. I also met a Scottish guy James who was travelling alone also.
Anyway booked into the hostel in salta and met a Dutch guy Rodger who is nineteen and also travelling alone ( although for some reason he lied to me about his age for a couple of days which I tell everyone new person we meet.) I did a tour here to a town called cachi that was really high up above sea level.i got to see amazing scenery on the way to the town but there was nothing much in the town but a graveyard which me and Rodger wandered around (for some reason graveyards are tourist attractions in south America).
That night me Rodger holly and louis got really drunk in the hostel kitchen on our own. I was leaving the next day to go to la quece the border town in Bolivia and holly and Louis were going to tilcarra but we wanted to try and meet in tupiza to do the salt flat tour. Rodger had been in salta for six days and anyone who has
been to salta knows six days in salta is way to many. So I said hey Rodge you can't be at that and he decided to cross the border with me into Bolivia then on to tupiza.
We were getting a night bus to the border so headed to the bus station at half twelve. Here I bumped into James the Scot I had met on the bus from BA to salta. He was with an Argentinean girl Geraldine who could speak fluent Spanish. We all hoped on the night bus together. The bus arrived at the border town a little early and it was fucking freezing.after putting on all my clothes we rocked into this weird little bus shelter full of tiny little Bolivian people and about ten other back packers. We all huddled together and decided to cross the border together as it was still night and safer to cross the border in a big group. We were all going to tupiza and it turned out many of the people I met here were going to become a permanent part of my travels for at least a couple of weeks.
We crossed the border into Bolivia all together and then me and Rodger got a taxi with a Scottish couple mark and Breda to tupiza. This taxi cost 200 Bolivinos so between four that was five euro each. Just to put that into context that was 250km for a fiver.
We were all going to the same hostel or hotel mitru in tupiza which cost a tenner a night (this is actually expensive for Bolivia) but we said feck it sure it'll be grand. We had planned to do the salt flat tour the next day but decided to give it a day because the altitude kind of hits you like a tone of bricks.
After checking in to the hostel I went straight to the pharmacy.In Bolivia you can pretty much buy any drugs over the counter so I stocked up on tablets for my stomach and bought shit loads of valium :-) although for some reason in Bolivia they won't sell you valium unless you buy other drugs first. Like everything else in Bolivia this makes no sense at all.
Next stop  the salt flat tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment